Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Starring... The Iron King by Julie Kagawa {Review}

6644117Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil, no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


Book Rating: 1/2
Fangirling Scale: Gazing at the Stars!

The magic of our world materializes and exists around us but, our problem is that we don't open our eyes since our belief runs strong. A magical realm we didn't know existed that only few can see and that few includes Meghan Chase. Always thought to be a normal girl in this world when in the faery realm of the Summer kingdom, she is crown princess of Midsummer Night's Dream's King Oberon. The Iron King shows that one's world is not what one expects.

Surprisingly, I don't have much to say about this book. I didn't hate or love it. The Iron King stayed on the level of where I can say that the book was "fine". I know that The Iron King is a well loved series by fans of Julie Kagawa (And I am a fan of hers too!) but, this book did not have anything about it that surprised me. I did fairly enjoy it though!

One thing (Actually two!) I wished publishers didn't print in this book was that in the synopsis, they shouldn't have revealed that Meghan was a daughter to a faery king, a princess. I felt that this revelation could have been well executed to the point that readers may be surprised. As well, the storyline for The Iron King was so girl-finds-out-she-is-something typical for me. Most of the time, I predicted what would happen and most of the time I was right. No surprises in this front.

Meghan's voice in The Iron King felt genuine like the girl-next-door voice I always like reading in. Ms. Kagawa accurately writes a teenage girl's voice in The Iron King which made me like Meghan as a character. Her loyalty to others amazes me because even when all is thought to be given up on, Meghan will always fulfill her promises. On the other case of the other characters, I love how Ms. Kagawa has gotten her inspiration of her characters from the cast of Midsummer Night's Dream. This relation adds on to the aspect of magic surrounding the story. But, I felt that some of the characters could have had more important roles in the story. 

The "forbidden romance" in this story is actually forbidden from my criteria. I don't actually like it when characters instantly, from the first time they see each other, fall in love. That happened in this book. Meghan instantly is attracted and falls for Ash. Also, a love triangle was pushed forward in this book with Meghan, Ash, and Puck. It was OK. Not swoonworthy as I wanted it to be.I am not taking a side on who Meghan will end up with because I am not really rooting for anyone but, I do have a notion that I know who she will end up with. I think it's obvious.

The Iron King met my fangirling scale of: Gazing at the Stars barely. (Maybe I wasn't feeling to reading The Iron King at the time.) High fantasy is what I dub this series as and if that's what you want to read next, then I recommend this book for you. The magical aspect is rich in this book and I hope to continue reading the next book in this series.

Twinkling Quote:
Always looking for the star,

peach sundress ~

No comments:

Post a Comment