Monday, December 22, 2014

Starring... The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson {Review}

11431896
The champion must not waver.
The champion must not fear.
The gate of darkness closes.


Elisa is a fugitive.

Her enemies have stolen the man she loves, and they await her at the gate of darkness. Her country is on the brink of civil war, with her own soldiers ordered to kill her on sight.

Her Royal Majesty, Queen Lucero-Elisa né Riqueza de Vega, bearer of the Godstone, will lead her three loyal companions deep into the enemy's kingdom, a land of ice and snow and brutal magic, to rescue Hector and win back her throne. Her power grows with every step, and the shocking secrets she will uncover on this, her final journey, could change the course of history.

But that is not all. She has a larger destiny. She must become the champion the world has been waiting for.

Even of those who hate her most.
Book Rating:
Fangirling Scale: Reaching for the Stars! (More than ever did I swoon!)

The ice surrounding my bookish heart melted once again for the last installment in The Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy. The Bitter Kingdom lost me from time to time because of endless swooning, uber-happiness, and fangirling at its finest. What can I say, I can't say goodbye to a beloved series (and Hector+Elisa)!

With a clear transition of the events ending the previous book, The Crown of Embers, this book continues following Elisa and her journey to becoming the queen she aspires to be. Being the last book, the reader never jumps into a slowing dead end and ventures into action immediately. The order of how the events are played out is consistent, leading to a happy ending I loved. This is one of the first times I have ever read such a happy ending to a series because usually authors try to end the series with a BANG! (Which sometimes gets me annoyed...) Ms. Carson ends the series with closure and the reader left sad to say a final farewell to the series.

Our young Queen Elisa is still her relatable self and I would say: stronger than ever in The Bitter Kingdom. Elisa clearly has gone through a lot of character development since the beginning of the series where she was an insecure, scared girl and now to a clever, brave young queen I have admired and consider one of my favorite book characters this year.She doesn't lose that girly aspect to her when she is with Hector or her non-subtlety which makes me very thankful to Ms. Carson for creating Elisa. I will never say goodbye to Elisa since I consider one of those characters you will never forget.

I know what you are all waiting for: What about the ROMANCE, Jamie? I will get there twinklers, hold on. First of all, may I ask, Does Hector and Elisa have a ship name? (Yes, my shipping for their relationship has gotten to that level. I will go down with this ship.) I'll call them, Helisa. Away from that, if the events of the last book left you heartbroken, I assure you, The Bitter Kingdom will keep your shipper heart warm and toasty. Their love for each other stays strong to the point where they bring the best in each other. Words cannot express how much their relationship is truly a gift from Ms. Carson. (A new OTP was made.)

I am very sad to say goodbye to this series. The Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy has become one of the best YA fantasy series I have read of all time. I am thankful for picking up this series blindly.(I never do this because somehow I spoil myself! A bad habit, I know...) On to the bigger picture, The GIrl of Fire and Thorns trilogy has touched a special star in my heart and I hope it does the same to you.

Twinkling Quote:
Always looking for the star,

peach sundress ~

No comments:

Post a Comment