Saturday, December 27, 2014

Starring... Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen {Review}

11983940Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. 

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in.

It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.


Book Rating: 
Fangirling Scale: Reaching for the Stars!

A new tale of Robin Hood is among us. Robin's band of thieves consists of a woman on his side and her name is Scarlet. Not to be thought of as weak, she's a missy not to be messed with or she will gut you with her knives. Bound to steal for the town of Nottingham, don't mess with Robin and his band because they will definitely steal your attention and heart.

I am very proud of the research clearly done for this book by Ms. Gaughen. She nailed the voice of where Scarlet takes us, the setting, the tale, and need I not say: my attention too! With the informal speech and correct English tone clearly shown in Scarlet's voice, I can envision her talking to the other characters which is a good thing for readers like me. (I'm not from England or anything but, I think Ms. Gaughen has gotten her voice right!) As well, the setting of the forest and Nottinghamshire is very easy to imagine. I could feel as if I am there with the characters in their story. Lastly I will boast about the research Ms. Gaughen has done on the tale of Robin Hood which she clearly did as she gave readers a list of sources she used to read more about Robin Hood. This retelling kept to the story very closely in my opinion and I loved that!

The characters in Scarlet are a great humorous bunch where their trust and hope is unconditional despite what they say to each other. It's clearly shown that Scarlet and the others love each other like family. Their lives have intertwined with one another's and that's what keeps them together. There is one character in particular that I respect and *cue applause*-Scarlet. She is an icon for strong women and female empowerment during the time. But, that's not the reason I respect her greatly. She can stand her own without the help of the guys. Scarlet can fight depending on her ability and strength as a person. At the same time, she is human too: her emotions and past cannot be hidden. (There is one person she is always honest to and guess who's that?)

If you guessed Robin Hood, then you are correct! The romance in this book resides with two of Scarlet's band mates. Another love triangle is in the air. However, I am swooning over and over for the relationship between Scarlet and Robin. (SORRY- but, I am SO going for Robin!) Ms. Gaughen writes a deep connection between the two throughout Scarlet when each time the other likes the other, which is displayed a lot, you can see (or should I say: read.) that Scarlet and Robin care for each other. Waiting for them to finally tell each other that they love each other took a while in Scarlet but, the time that it took for their relationship to take its ride is definitely worth it because that's how relationships form. Smiles and blushing covered my face the whole time when I read about them. (Oops, somehow I still can't wipe that smile off my face...)  

Scarlet is a retelling everyone should read. With an intriguing premise of the well-known tale of Robin Hood, Ms. Gaughen has written a heart-pumping story where the point of view doesn't follow Robin Hood himself but, Scarlet, a lady thief of sorts. Adventure, suspense, and romance is what stole my heart and are what I hope it takes to steal yours too.

Twinkling Quote:
Always looking for the star,

peach sundress ~

No comments:

Post a Comment