Friday, December 19, 2014

Starcrossed Trilogy by Josephine Angelini {Series Review}

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.
 


Book Rating:1/2
Fangirling Scale: Reaching for the Stars!

Ever since I was reading books in the YA genre, I realized that there were not many books originating from greek mythology. Yes, I do know about the Percy Jackson series and The Heroes of Olympus series. But, I wanted to read a greek mythology book from a girl's point of view. So, I came across this book series and the Starcrossed trilogy satisfied this need that I had. Basically, the books wooed me!

What I liked/disliked:
  • The synopsis following a girl named Helen (which is a coincidence that her story is modeled after Helen of Troy) who discovers that she is a demigod intrigues me because I never read about greek mythology in the YA genre. The events that occur in Helen's story is like a sweet and sour candy: her life seems sweet at first but, turns sour very quickly. Some shocking points in the first book especially will make you flip the book and say,"Why?", My feels ultimately was almost going to die in sorrows then.
  • The pace of the book sometimes slowed when the shift of character point of views changed because I felt that some weren't important. But, still the change of perspectives did not overrule to what I thought about the story.
  • The characters that Ms. Angelini has created was very relatable and realistic because as they were in high school. They dealt with all the problems I had while still dealing with all the demigod business.
  • Ok, now on to the romance. Ms. Angelini took my heart and smashed and then, put it back all together. The first book is where my heart was smashed to pieces, just saying. Brace yourself.
All in all, The Starcrossed Trilogy was one of those few books that I try to find that relates to Greek Mythology. Ms. Angelini excellently weaves myths with teens because the storyline meets its match when against the Gods.(Reminder: Don't mess with them!) The Starcrossed Trilogy and I became starcrossed lovers! Will you join us? Starhearts unite.

Always looking for the star,

peach sundress ~

No comments:

Post a Comment